Sunday, October 6, 2013

Of Bucs and Ducks

Yeah, so it's Sunday. Usually by Sunday if I haven't posted yet I usually abandon it completely, but today I took (lack of) initiative!

Friday brought a pep rally, a PIRATES WIN, and Homecoming (the game), Saturday brought Homecoming (the dance), and today my back is killing me. How are you? That's cool.

My paternal grandmother is a diehard Pittsburgh Pirates fan, and so is my friend Jeff Stephan (of JSVH fame). Each year, Jeff has told me "this is the year" and, well, it wasn't. And by 'the year' he means the year where we finally overcome the losing streak that had been running since 1992. My parents weren't even married in '92. But this year the Pirates are in the running for winning the division... like, for real. We have postseason baseball in Pittsburgh.

And though obviously to get to this point it took a bunch of hard work and dedication and proof of insurance and everything, I have a theory for the postseason performance: The Giant Duck.
Found on MLB.com Yeah, seriously.

As I have already posted, the giant duck has the power to make people smile (admit it, the above picture is making you smile) and I think it also has magic powers.
From the artist:
"The Rubber Duck knows no frontiers, it doesn't discriminate people and doesn't have a political connotation. The friendly, floating Rubber Duck has healing properties: it can relieve mondial tensions as well as define them. The rubber duck is soft, friendly and suitable for all ages!"
Hear me out, the Post-Gazette has even run something in the Sunday paper with the headline of something to the effect of "The Duck is Magical" or something. If it isn't the Pirates' good luck charm, it at least is worth investigating. Two things are uniting Pittsburghers this October: the Giant Duck and Pirates Baseball. It's something amazing to be a part of.

Only people from around here would understand this one,
all credit goes to YaJagoff.com and my aunt Marie.

Yeah, I realize this is rambly, so I'll stop writing (and probably delete this later) but I wanted an excuse to use those two pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment