Wednesday, September 11, 2013

"And I'll Stand Beside the Ones Who Stood Alone " 9/11/13


The Title: Blue October's "Kangaroo Cry". Their response dedicated to those affected by 9/11.

It's been 12 years. I went to Shanksville a month ago to visit the memorial to Flight 93. It was quite impressive, and even more impressive was the universal feeling of being overwhelmed shared by the people visiting there. And I mean it in the most sincere way: there was a sober and peaceful mood about the place. And though not a requirement, everyone there is nearly silent. It's terrible to think that such a peaceful place was the backdrop to one of the darkest days in American history.


When you first visit, there is a bulletin board inside the entryway where people leave messages as part of the grieving process, and messages to the heroes of the strike. What touched me most was this note:

It reads "I wish t[h]at you were a live. thank you."

And I don't think it was the child's handwriting that touched me as much as the fact that it was written by a six year old: born in 2007. Six years after 9/11. I was 4 when it happened, and remember it vaguely. But at least there is a glimmer of life in my head pre-9/11.


Every year on 9/11 I post a picture of the flagpole I built with the flag flying on it (Top Picture). WCHS broadcast a schoolwide moment of silence at about 7:40 AM. Our student government did the same at 8:39ish AM, nearly the same time as the WTC attacks. We won't forget. This 7th grade may (they were born in 2000 or 2001) but we won't. 

And I think above all else this note left in Shanksville speaks volumes that life and time have moved on, yet we should never forget the sacrifice it comes to mean. My prayers are with all affected, as they need it most.

No comments:

Post a Comment